Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Snowshoe Dogs become Ski Dogs!


Alright, granted I'm still pretty bad at skiing (even 'snowplow' still seems difficult), but I have to say that it was quite satisfying being able to keep up with the pups for a change. We skied in from Swanson and took the logging road down (that snowplow maneuver came in reaaaally handy) to the lake. The descent seems way steeper when you are strapped on to a pair of x-country skis, and I only ate it twice on the way down (clinging to trees doesn't count, right?) When we hit the shoreline I changed out to my snowshoes, mostly because if I'd gone any farther, the odds of an impromptu swim increased dramatically. The skis attach nicely to the side of my pack and I tromped back up the hill with one very tired dog (Sadie) and one very ecstatic dog (the Zig). I hadn't previously considered the fact that, as my endurance increases, so does Ziggys. Thus, what used to wear him out quickly and efficiently is now a cakewalk and longer/more strenuous endeavors are now required. He's still worn out, but mostly because he ran up and down the 2 mile long hill about twenty times more than I did. I also blame him for one of my wipe outs on the way down...







No comments:

Post a Comment